Conferences today at Lewis school so I thought I would write up a few ideas on how to be successful in PE since I can’t get to all the conferences
How to help your child be more successful in physical education?
1. Help Child Be Prepared:
Make sure your child come to school/class with tennis shoes on their PE days. They can change into them for class if they don’t want to wear them all day.
2. Know child’s PE day: Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
(circle the two that apply)
3. Talk about what happens in PE. If your child doesn’t remember you can look to the twitter feed of the PE teacher Twitter@GymJumpRun
and or subscribe to on line PE Newsletter @ mlaymanPE@wordpress.com the
4. Exercise as a family. It can be as simple as taking a walk after dinner or as soon as getting home from school.
5. Talk about why exercise is an important part of everyones day. From grandma working on balance to kids trying to find a way to manage their extra energy. We all need to care for our body.
6. Track your steps and let children see this process. You can use an app on your phone or just put a star on the calendar the days you exercise for 30 minutes.
7. Talk about food as fuel and the importance of vegetables and fruit in their daily meals.
8. Volunteer to be a jump rope turner in gym or at lunch recess in order to see and encourage activity.
9. Check in with the PE teacher from time to time. Communication is always helpful to feeling connected with the goals and life skills worked on in PE. Mlayman@pps.net
10. Practice some basic skills with your kids like playing catch, batting a balloon or beachball around the house or yard. Having a jump rope at home or hula hoop can inspired a child to choose to get their wiggles out on a weekend even if for just a few minutes.